Saturday, April 24, 2010

Chocolate Cake Makes A Happy Boy Indeed

Just look at it.  I mean, what about this could not make you happy?  Deep, rich, moist chocolate cake layers separated by thin layers of not-to-sweet mocha buttercream frosting.......there are few things that top this on my list.  I have a theory that coffee and chocolate were fraternal twins that were separated at birth, only to be blissfully reunited in this cake.  It's a family reunion every time I make it.  They were meant to be together.

Charlie's 2nd birthday was earlier this month, but due to varying schedules, the only time we could get both sets of grandparents together was today (minus his Papi, who is out in Georgia.  We miss you, Papi!!).  We wanted to have a small party -- nothing grand with a lot of guests, just our parents and some good food.  The menu included chicken and beef skewers loaded with veggies in an orange-balsamic glaze, fresh grilled corn and some brown rice laced with basil...



...and then came the cake made to look like one of Charlie's favorite things...drums (which he calls "bubbas" because they go "bubba, bubba, bubba, bubba...").  I'm not a professional cake decorator, so it's not the best looking cake in the world, but, as with many things in life, it's what's inside that counts.  And, oh, does it ever count here.  I wish I could email you all a piece.  The funny thing is this:  this is probably one of the most used chocolate cakes ever, since it came off the back of a well known box of cocoa.  Ordinarily, I would not consider doing this, as I have trouble trusting "big food company" recipes, but I am okay with it in this case.  Why?  Not only do I recognize each ingredient as natural, actual food (unlike partially hydrogenated oils, Propylene Glycol Mono and Diesters of Fatty Acids, Sodium Searoyl Lactylate, etc.), but it's the best chocolate cake I've ever had**.  So, I won't bother putting the recipe for the cake up here, as you should have no problem finding it at your local grocery store or online, or perhaps in your kitchen cabinets.

I did, however, alter the frosting recipe on the back of the same cocoa box (see the end of the post for the recipe), so that I could bring those two long lost siblings, chocolate and coffee, back together again.  Plus, I thought the sugar to butter ratio was far too high --- much too sweet in my opinion, which tends to over-power the cake.  And as you can see, this does make for a happy boy.




Happy Birthday, Charlie!  Daddy loves you.


**Three tips to this being the best chocolate cake you have ever eaten:
  • I make these cakes in two 8" round, heavy aluminum pans, not 9" like the recipe calls for.  I prefer the added height since I slice both cakes in half to make 4 layers, which I find distributes the cake and frosting flavors better across the width of the slice than a 2 layer cake.
  • Take the cakes out when the cake still slighty clings to a toothpick stuck into the center.  You don't want a completely clean toothpick.
  • Make the frosting layers very thin, almost to where you can see the cake underneath it.  Not quite that far, but almost.  A little really does go a long way. 
-----------------------------------------------
Mocha Buttercream Frosting
  • 3 sticks butter, softened to room temperature
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  • 14 Tbs cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup whole milk or half & half
  • 1/2 to 1 1/2 tsp ground coffee beans
- Grind a small handful of coffee beans to a fine powder, resembling espresso powder.  Set aside.
- In stand mixer, add butter to a bowl and beat with a paddle attachment on lowest speed.
- Whisk the sugar and cocoa together in a bowl.  Then slowly add to the butter in small installments until fully incorporated
- Add vanilla and then just enough milk to reach the desired consistency for spreading or piping.
- Add the coffee grounds, starting with 1/2 tsp and then adding more to taste.

3 comments:

Matt Dufilho said...

Hey Paul. Love the new look of the blog! Man, we wish we were there with you guys...dinner looks fantastic. Yes, it would be nice to see you guys too, but those skewers, the cake, the corn, and that basil deal sounds incredible. Robin and I were both saying to each other, "Why don't you make me something with orange glaze and basil".

I'm looking forward to following the blog. Here's mine: http://www.mattdufilho.blogspot.com

Teri Dufilho said...

i'm still up getting sunday school stuff done, and thought i'd check blogs a bit.....wow, those are some cute pics of a cute boy!,,,,,,and i must say that was THE best chocolate cake ever!......it was so fun being with all of you tonight, and great seeing Joni and Andrew... ( we missed you Jim!),,,the meal was fabulous, and we loved the "saxoflute" serenades throughout the evening!....hahahaha.....happy birthday Charlie!

meganlagoy.blogspot.com said...

Thank you, dear Paul, for making me absolutely DROOL! Yum!