Monday, April 26, 2010

What I'm looking for...


This video is an example of what I'm looking for in my area of Montgomery County here in southeast Texas and the kind of change I desire to make in what we eat and our support of local growers.  I know this has been going on for years and years in New York City (of which, I have to say, I am very jealous), but I also believe I may have found our local answer in St. Fairsted Farms.  They support a local CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) program that supplies any who participate with weekly baskets of fresh, local produce for a weekly fee and they also run a farm stand for those who would rather just pick what they want.  Now, I haven't visited the farm yet, nor talked to their owner, Angela, but everything I've read or heard seems like it's just what I've been looking for in the way of fresh fruits and vegetables, locally and organically grown.

The farm stand opens May 5th and I plan on being there opening day to sample what they have to offer and hopefully begin the process of making the switch from megamart mush to fresh, local goodness.

2 comments:

gekko422 said...

I had a CSA and loved it. Unfortunately, since I am just one person, it was really too much food for me and I ended up canceling after about 6 months. There is another CSA that operates a farm stand near me and now I go there for fruits and veggies.

Paul said...

Yeah, our CSA is a little bit too much for us right now, but I definitely plan on taking advantage of the farm stand.