Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Baking From Scratch

So, this whole recipe adventure has kind of lit a fire under me.  Up until now, I have only really been dealing with simple entrees which fall into the realm of "cooking", a vast world of a pinch of this, some of that, a little bit of "ooo, that sounds good, let's add that" and then a dish emerges.  However, I am in the beginning stages of coming up with my first ever BAKING recipe...from scratch.  What I mean by that is, I plan on coming up with the recipe myself, not adapting it from someone else's recipe.  The baking world is full of "Thou shalts" and "Thou shalt nots" when it comes to how much and what type of ingredients you use.  Of course, I'm having thoughts and visions of my first attempt coming out perfect without a hitch, but I know there will be multiple attempts.  I am hoping to have a successful product by the end of the weekend, but who knows how long this will take.

"So, Paul, what is it you're planning on baking," you might ask (I know, you're all sooooo interested).  Unfortunately, that must remain a secret for know, but I will say that it is my recreation of one of my favorite desserts from a very well known chain restaurant.  Ever since I first had it, I knew I had to make it at home; but not just make it...make it better.  Any guesses?  So it's just me, the little bit of culinary knowledge that I've scraped up here and there, oh, and of course, my secret weapon...



So what about you?  Any baking recipes/successes/disasters made from scratch that you would like to share?

1 comment:

Teri Dufilho said...

i've always thought that baking "from scratch" meant that you used real ingredients in something, not a mix.....but that you definitely used a recipe.....actually, i don't think i've ever made anything without measuring the ingredients according to a recipe....of course, i almost always add my own touches to it....say, if a cake calls for white sugar, i might use half white half brown to add a layer of flavor!....anyway, my grandmother Hobson used to make the BEST BISCUITS by just taking flour in a bowl, making a well in the middle , taking some crisco shortenting and glopping some in the well, then pouring a little buttermilk in it, and then her sweet hands went to work to create those fluffy treasures.....i have memories of just standing there watching her, in a trance!......soooo, i tried to re-create what she did one time while on vacation in destin, and they were ROCK HARD HOCKEY PUCKS.....brad lovingly called them "zingers".....i found out later, that she had used SELF RISING FLOUR...and i had used only all purpose........oh well, that's my "from scratch" baking disaster!!.....lovin' your blog, paul