Friday, May 21, 2010

Day 50 - Harvest Confusion

Whew!  I'm back from recipe land for a bit to give you all an update on my tomato garden, which is the reason I started this blog in the first place.  If you've been following from the beginning, you already know that Day 52 (this coming Sunday) is the average day that Lime Green Salad ripens for harvest.  However, I'm having trouble knowing when to pick the fruit because with most other tomatoes, they start green and then change color.  But these stay green.  I guess I'll just give them a feel every so often each day and see when they feel ripe to me.  Does anyone have any pointers for when to harvest green tomatoes that will actually stay green?

I'm definitely much more comfortable in the kitchen than in the garden, but I'm loving this first attempt at a green thumb.  Thanks for taking this trip with me.


1 comment:

Teri Dufilho said...

paul, i'm enjoying this trip with you!.....i think the feel test is a good idea......after reading your post, i went outside to my tomatoes and tried to really feel the difference between the green and orange ones....the orange feel a little softer......so excited about your garden!