Saturday, May 15, 2010

Pasta Paul

Bethany and I had been married not too long before this dish made it's way into our weekly eating routine.  This is how I think the name may have come about, but I'm not entirely sure:

Bethany:  "What are you making?"
Me:  Uh...some kind of pasta dish...thing.
Bethany:  "Well what is it?"
Me:  It's pasta and some other stuff.
Bethany:  (she tastes it)  Ooo, that's good pasta, Paul.  That's what you should call it:  Pasta Paul.

Even though that's completely made up, it was probably something dorky like that.  Of course, back then it was doused with copious amounts of oil and sausage, which, although very tasty, began to lead to a marital "freshman 15" for us both.  At this point, when we realized what this dish was doing to us, I stopped making it.  Fast-forward 6 years and Pasta Paul made an encore performance, though revamped and toned down.  And I must say, it is so much more satisfying than I remember the old version being.  I can actually move around without having to lay on the couch for an hour after consuming it, plus the flavor is wonderful.  Also, the thing I love about this dish is that it's basically culinary velcro --- you can throw almost anything in there and it will "stick" and work (of couse, year old chocolate sauce and ranch style beans won't work, but you know what I mean).  I usually vary this dish based on what I've got in the fridge, especially if I need to get rid of a few items that might go bad soon.

So, although this dish is very basic and somewhat of a no-brainer, it holds a fond place in our hearts.  It's the first meal I ever really started making that was my own and it also reminds us (or at least me, anyway) of how far I've come as a cook and how far Bethany and I have come as a couple in these 6 short years.

And please remember, I'm cooking for 2 (well, 2 1/2 now...Charlie doesn't eat that much yet), so the quantities may not fit the amount you need to make.  Usually, I make just enough for all of us with little or no leftover, so make sure to compensate for your needs.

Pasta Paul
  • 1/2 lb. dried whole wheat rotini or penne (any type of pasta will do, I just prefer the "bite-sizedness" of these)
  • 1 cup sliced button mushrooms
  • 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
  • Pinch of red chile flakes
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
  • 1 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
  • Juice from 1/2 lemon
  • 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese (the real stuff, please...nothing out of a green can)
  • 1 handful of cherry tomaotes, halved
  • 5 large basil leaves, chopped
  • Kosher salt and pepper
- Fill a medium saucepan or pot with about 6 cups water and put over high heat with the lid on.
- While the water comes to a boil, pour the oil into the center of a large, non-stick frying or saute pan.  Place the garlic and chile flakes in the oil and turn the heat on LOW.
- When the water comes to a boil, put in a good heavy pinch of salt and then pour in the pasta.  Reduce the heat to medium/medium-high and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until al dente or just barely firm.
- Once the garlic starts to gently cook for a couple minutes, increase the heat to medium and add the mushrooms.  Try to spread the mushrooms out into a single layer in the pan.  Cook for a few minutes without stirring.  Be careful not to let the garlic burn.
- Add the spinach and lemon juice to the pan and stir in with the mushrooms and garlic.  Add a pinch of salt, about 1/2 tsp or more to your liking.
- When the pasta is done, drain and immediately add to the pan.  The pasta needs to have just a bit of water on it, so don't drain too heavily.  DO NOT RINSE THE PASTA.
-Add the cheese, basil and tomaotes and toss just to warm up the remaining ingredients and melt the cheese.
- Pepper to taste.

**This is a foundation for virtually any protein (chicken breasts or thighs, meatballs, lamb shanks, ox tails, etc.), so have at it.  But it is also just great by itself.  Enjoy!**

4 comments:

Teri Dufilho said...

i've had the pleasure of eating Paul's" Pasta Paul" in the past, and it is just so tasty, and fresh and wonderful !!..... i love it!.... happy now to have the actual recipe to put in my books, i might even include the yummy looking picture :)

meganlagoy.blogspot.com said...

I am making this soon. Just emailed a copy to myself so I can refer to it later. I'm always looking for good, healthy, simple recipes. Thanks Paul!

Unknown said...

Okay, I made Pasta Paul last night. . .just added some shrimp and carrots, and it was delicious! (even used REAL parmesan cheese. . .yum!) Love your recipes, Paul!

Paul said...

Alright, Joni!! Glad you liked it and it's good to see the food joy is getting spread. Way to make it your own with the additional ingredients, too!!