Sunday, May 16, 2010

Dinner Rolls: The Measure Of A Meal


To me, a dinner roll can almost define a meal.  I'd say that the quality of your dinner roll is directly proportional to the quality of the rest of the meal.  Think of it this way:  If you get served a roll-shaped object more akin to a paper weight than anything edible, chances are your pot roast to follow will be like a car tire.  This is not to say that a meal without dinner rolls has no hope, which we all know is entirely not true, but you get the point.

These rolls, however, didn't disappoint...in fact, they were my dinner tonight.  I didn't want anything else.  A supple, golden top surrounding a warm, fluffy interior...out of this world.  The smell filled the house in the short 20 minutes they took to bake.  I felt like I was running my own bakery.  This recipe was adapted from one I found on a food blog that I follow, http://www.foodwishes.com/.  I really like to use honey whenever I can, unless granulated sugar is absolutely necessary, so I substituted it in my version.  Also, I thought the dough needed a bit more flour and salt.  I really hope you all try these.

Pot roast never had it so good.

Dinner Rolls (adapted from recipe at http://www.foodwishes.com/)
  • 1/4 cup warm water
  • 1 package active dry yeast
  • 1/2 tsp + 1 Tbs honey
  • 3 1/2 to 4 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup milk
  • 3 Tbs butter
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp salt
- In a large bowl, combine water, yeast and 1/2 tsp honey.  Stir briefly to dissolve yeast and let sit for 5 minutes to bloom until a significant amount of bubbles form.
- While waiting for yeast to bloom, combine the milk and butter in a microwaveable vessel and microwave on high for 1 minute or until butter begins to melt.  Let cool slightly to just warm, not hot.
- To the yeast, add the milk mixture, 1 Tbs honey, egg, salt and 1 cup of flour.  Stir to combine.
- Once mixed, add another cup of flour and stir to combine.
- Once mixed, add another cup of flour and stir to combine.  This should make 3 cups of flour.
- Continue adding flour in small amounts until the dough starts to come together, loses its stickiness and become managable.
- Pour the dough onto a floured surface and knead for 5 - 7 minutes until smooth and elastic, adding flour as needed.
- Once your dough has reached the right consistency, place in a lightly oiled bowl and cover.  Let the bowl sit at room temperature for about 1 1/2 hours.  The dough should roughly double in size.
- Once risen, gently remove the dough to a floured work surface and spread the dough into a rectangle roughly measuring 9" x 13".  It doesn't have to be exact, that's just about how big I remember it being.  I didn't measure it.
- Cut the dough into 12 equal parts and form each piece into a boule or ball.  It doesn't have to be fancy, just get the basic shape.
- Place each ball on a lightly greased sheet pan or cookie sheet.
- Cover the dough ball with a tea towel and let rest at room temperature for 40 minutes.  Dough will rise slightly.
- Preheat an oven to 350F and bake for 20 - 22 minutes. Enjoy!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the yummy recipes, Paul! Just looking at those rolls makes my mouth water!

Teri Dufilho said...

mmmmmmm!!.....i can smell those beautiful rolls from over here!.... that first picture looks like the cover of Southern Living Magazine...